By Derek Mayes, Executive Chef, Top of the Cove
Rich, heavy cream melds with savoury, fresh herbs in a hearty pasta dish for winter get-togethers with boating friends or cool evenings on board next season.
- 12 oz Fettuccine
- 4 pcs Fresh free range chicken breast
- 1 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Shallots or red onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp Garlic, chopped
- 1½ lbs Mixed mushrooms, sliced
- ½ Red pepper, sliced
- 1½ tsp Fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning (no salt)
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Freshly ground pepper
- Handful Baby spinach (or to taste)
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain.
- Place chicken breast (pre-seasoned and lightly oiled) on a hot grill. Grill mark both sides and finish cooking on the grill. Once done, set aside to rest and slice.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, adding shallots and garlic and stirring until the shallots are light brown, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, red peppers, sliced chicken, basil, Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper and spinach. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid from the mushrooms and spinach has evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Add cream and bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Add pre-cooked fettuccine. Simmer and continue stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in half the Parmesan. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan. Serve and Enjoy!
Tip: Test cream sauce on the back of a spoon – if it coats the spoon, it’s done.
Simple Chicken Rub/Marinade
A little oil, some salt, pepper and Cajun spice to taste – that’s all… scrumptious AND easy!
This recipe is featured in the Winter 2014 issue of Boats&Places.