By Derek Mayes, Executive Chef, Top of the Cove
Caramelized vegetables and broth combine for hearty blended soup, ideal for winter get-togethers with boating friends.
- 2 lbs carrots peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions
- 1 cloves garlic (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. butter or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt plus more to taste
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 lbs mashed potatoes
- Peel, and cube the carrots. Place on baking tray and roast at 350 until caramelized.
- Halve, peel, and chop the onion. Mince the garlic, if you like.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the butter or oil and the chopped onion. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and the broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until the carrot is very tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Transfer small batches to a blender. Hold a kitchen towel over the top (to prevent burns) and whirl until completely and utterly smooth, 2 to 3 minutes per batch.
- Return the soup to the pot and add more salt to taste.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Freshly baked baguette is an ideal companion to any soup.
This recipe is featured in the Winter 2015 issue of Boats&Places.